Choose your own path to a healthier future with online support from SMART Recovery
People cope with stressors of life in different ways, some use alcohol and/or other drugs to relax whilst others use gambling as a means of relief. Sometimes, what starts as a way to cope, ends up causing problems and making changes towards these behaviours can seem overwhelming.
Individuals wishing to start a path towards a healthier future can through SMART Recovery, a free service funded by Country SA PHN and targeted for people living in regional SA.
SMART Recovery is delivered by Sonder and facilitates weekly, online group meetings aimed at teaching people to champion their own behaviour changes around addictions to alcohol and other drug use, gambling, cigarettes, or food etc.
The SMART Recovery service model is unique in that it recognises that making healthy changes does not have to be “all-or-nothing” approach. The acronym ‘SMART’ stands for ‘Self-Management and Recovery Training’ and supports the unique goals and autonomy of each group participant. Individuals can choose to work towards goals that work for them. For some, those goals may involve winding back to a more manageable use, whilst for others that may include abstinence.
Sonder’s SMART Recovery meetings commence 21 September 2022 and will be held weekly on Wednesdays at 7 pm.
The meetings are facilitated by trained Clinicians and Peer Practitioners and offer a supportive, non-judgemental environment where people can learn practical, evidence-based tools to become motivated for change, cope with urges and cravings, problem solve and set their own path towards a healthier future.
How is SMART Recovery different from other services?
- Uses evidence-based tools and strategies, including Motivational Interviewing and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.
- Supports participants to build motivation, cope with urges, problem solve and achieve lifestyle balance.
- Offers support for a range of behaviours of concern, without judgement, shame, or the need for religious thinking.
- Encourages participants to set their own goals, which may or may not include abstinence.
- Focuses on the ‘here and now’ rather than how the problem started (no life stories).
- Encourages active participation, engagement and problem solving.
- Groups have the added benefit of accessibility, with no cost incurred and no waiting list.
How to get started
Ready to choose your own path to a healthier future? Getting started with SMART Recovery is easy! Online meetings are held every Wednesday at 7 pm.
To register your interest, visit sonder.net.au/smartrecovery and complete the online form. Once we have received your registration, our facilitators will send you a confirmation email containing the Zoom link to attend the upcoming meeting.
For the best experience, it’s recommended to access meetings via a computer, tablet, or smartphone. However, if you do not have access to a computer, you can join the meeting by dialling in with your phone using the specific phone number provided in your confirmation email.
Before attending, please read the Online Meeting Group Agreements.